.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Writing Machine

Blogging about the best articles, sites, and blog posts for Writers; on the Craft, Mind and Body, Tech, Tools, and all the other Paraphenalia.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

My Software

I thought I'd post a listing of my favourite software; the stuff I use every day. I'll probably post more about each individual one, but for now here's what I've got.

KeyNote: A tree and tab based organiser. I use it to organise absolutely everything possible. I have a Novel KeyNote file, a Reference KeyNote file, a Research KeyNote file, and many more. Think of it like a binder, with tabbed dividers; only better.

Rainlendar: a calendar program which sits on your desktop. It shows a calendar, a to-do list, and an appointment list.

Firefox: wonderful browser with many 'extensions' that make it even better. I love it . . . particularly because of . . .

ScrapBook: a Firefox extension that lets you save webpages and organise them any way you want. It uses a tree (like you see in Windows Explorer) with folders into which you can file pages. It lets you annotate right on the page, save comments and even separate notes. I save my online research and daily blog reads with ScrapBook. It's indispensible. And it's constantly being updated, making it even better.

Open Office: the free Office suite. I like it even better than Microsoft Office.

ShirisuPad: a notepad that sits in your tray and pops up with a click. It uses tabs to allow multiple notes and looks great.

And note: all of these programs are free!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home